In most English sentences v an activity verb,the topic performs the activity denoted by the verb.
You are watching: Which sentence uses the passive voice for the main verb?
these examples present that the topic is doingthe verb"s action.
Because the subject does or "acts upon"the verb in such sentences, the sentence are claimed to be in the active voice.
One can readjust the common word order of manyactive sentences (those through a direct object) so that the topic is no much longer active,but is, instead, being acted top top by the verb - or passive.
keep in mind in these instances how the subject-verbrelationship has changed.
Because the subject is gift "actedupon" (or is passive), such sentences are said to it is in in the passivevoice.
NOTE: vibrant parrots live in therainforests cannot be changed to passive voice due to the fact that the sentence go nothave a direct object.
To readjust a sentence from active to passive voice,do the following:
1. Relocate the active sentence"sdirect object into the sentence"s subject slot
2. Location the active sentence"s subject intoa phrase start with the preposition by
3. Add a type of the assistant verb beto the key verb and adjust the key verb"s form
Because passive voice sentence necessarily addwords and readjust the normal doer-action-receiver of action direction, they may make thereader work-related harder to know the to plan meaning.
As the examples below illustrate, a sentencein energetic voice flows much more smoothly and also is less complicated to understand thanthe exact same sentence in passive voice.
It is typically preferable to usage the ACTIVEvoice.
To readjust a passive voice sentence right into an activevoice sentence, just reverse the steps displayed above.
1. Move the passive sentence"ssubject right into the active sentence"s direct object slot
2. Eliminate the assistant verb be from the key verb and readjust main verb"s kind if needed
3. Location the passive sentence"s object of the preposition by right into the topic slot.
See more: If You Re Going Through Hell Keep Going Lyrics By Rodney Atkins
Because it is much more direct, most writers choose touse the active voice whenever possible.
The passive voice may be a better choice,however, whenthe doer the the activity is unknown, unwanted, or unneeded in the sentence